Happy Monday everyone!
In my Arts & Sciences lecture, my professor talked about Epicurus and happiness. The lecture went on about how only you are capable of your own happiness and how to find it in all the right places.
This lecture really made me think about what happiness means to me and what makes me happy. There are so many things I encounter in my everyday life that bring me happiness and I think it is important to celebrate that. So for todays blog I thought I would sit down and appreciate them.
Here are my 5 essentials:
1. Poetry. Poetry is a new found love for me. I was never really a fan — especially in high school when they forced me to read it. But after I got a hold on one of my favourite content creators book, I fell in love. Will Darbyshire’s book This Modern Love introduced me to this new found love and I could simply not get enough. Last week I picked up milk and honey and I finished it all in an evening. Poetry is just simply beautiful and fills my heart with so much love (Fun fact: I stopped in the middle of writing this to order i wrote this for you by pleasefindthis… I can already picture the massive collection of poetry books on my nightstand — let me know some of your favourite poetry books below!)
Poppies Plants of Joy
Trinity Bellswood Park
2. Nature. I love nature, I especially love waking up in the morning and hearing the birds chirping. I love walking down the street and stopping into every flower shop I pass — my friends must hate me for that. Because of all those flower shop stops I have a total of four cactus, 3 succulents and an aloe plant — just a healthy obsession. Nature keeps me grounded and I feel so re-leafed (pun intended).
PowerPlant of Contemporary Art
Art Gallery of Ontario
3. Art. As me being an art student, I’m sure this isn’t much of a surprise. Art and being creative is very important in my life. I appreciate art that is breaking the norms and something that make me think differently. I love being completely engaged and absorbed in an activity like painting, DIY’s, you name it! Being creative and seeing what I have created makes me very happy.
4. Adventure. Life is an adventure! Everyday as a new start, a new journey, a new adventure. Whether it is down the street or a plane ride away. Going places I’ve never been before gives me so much joy. I don’t really like staying in one place for very long, which is why you can always see me jumping on a bus or subway. Adventures take me to new places, I get to meet new people, experience new cultures and that fills me with so much happiness.
5. Laughter. Laughter is very important to my happiness, as it should be yours too. Laughter triggers bursts of positive emotion. If you can find joy and laughter in this moment, than it doesn’t matter how much money you have, how bad things are, or anything else. If you can find something to smile and laugh about, life is good.
Comment below what brings you happiness in your everyday life,
Have a great week everyone!